Eligibility and Requirements
- At this time, general Making Center access is available to all Parsons students regardless of program or year level.
- All students, including first year students, currently have access to the Making Center Tool Check Out, and can reserve space to work in select open work areas on campus (learn more).
- For all Making Center resources except Tool Check Out and open work spaces, students must have completed required orientations and be authorized to use equipment.
- Given distancing requirements, orientations for Summer 2021 will be offered on a very limited basis (see below). In all other cases, students will retain their Spring 2020 authorization status.
- Students interested in submitting work digitally to be produced for pick up (for laser cutting, CNC, 3D printing) will be able to complete an online orientation or technician consultation in order to access those services.
- As outlined in the university access to campus protocols, negative results from a Covid-19 test are required before your first visit to campus. Up-to-date information on testing and screening resources can be found here.
- In most cases, online consultation with Making Center technicians will be required before (or in select instances, immediately after) making reservations for space or equipment.
- Eating and drinking is not allowed in the Making Center. Students may reserve space in the University Center (UC) cafeteria to eat. Appropriate PPE and social distancing is required. You may remove your mask while eating in your assigned area. To allow for proper clearing between break times, we kindly request that you be sure to limit your time to 30 minutes. Visit the cafeteria scheduling platform to reserve a seat.
As of February 2021, the Making Center is offering online orientations for limited lab, shop, and studio spaces. Students without prior authorization can now complete an online orientation and get authorized to:
- Check out home sewing machines (L2 Tool Checkout)
- Work on industrial sewing facilities (UC Sewing Classrooms and Workrooms)
- Submit work for fabrication: Laser cutting (Laser Lab), CNC machining and milling (E2 CNC and L3 CNC shops), and 3D printing (3D Print Lab)
- Submit work for risograph and specialized printing (Design Lab)