Sheila C. Johnson Design Center, 2 W 13th St, 2nd Floor • Dependent on building hours.
Academic Year 2022-23 Update
The L2 Domestic Sewing Hub will be open during Sheila C. Johnson Design Center M-F 9am-9pm and weekends 12pm-7pm. Machines are only for those who have completed the mandatory orientation.
Please note: this is an independent workspace and will not be supported by technicians or student workers.
In order to access the L2 Making Center Domestic sewing machines students must complete at least one of the following:
- In class orientation with faculty OR
- Attend scheduled orientation with Making Center staff (see calendar below).
Reservation / Use Protocol
- Students will be expected to work independently on sewing machines. Making Center staff will not supervise usage.
- Student workers in L2 Tool Check Out will not be available to assist students.
- In the event of breakage (which cannot be solved by student troubleshooting) students are required to report breakage via provided QR code immediately. There will not be a sewing mechanic on site.
To Use Machines located in the L2 Domestic Sewing Hub
- Pedals are located in a locked cabinet with machines. Students who have completed orientation will be granted access.
- Pedals may not be shared with students who have not completed orientation.
- In the event that multiple machines are damaged, access to machines may be temporarily limited until a member of the Making Center’s Textiles team can assess and repair damage.
- Students will be required to provide their own scissors, fabric, bobbins, thread and notions for their projects. Machine needles will be provided.
For Faculty to reserve a Sewing Cart
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make a reservation.
- Carts should only be used during reserved time slots.
- Reservations will be made on a first come first serve basis.
- Please report any breakage as soon as possible.
- Please see calendar of scheduled reservations below.
About the L2 Sewing Hub
The L2 Domestic Sewing Hub contains:
- Singer Heavy Duty Domestic Sewing Machines (Model 4411)
- Open table workspace
- Dress Forms
- Jillian Hurley Assistant Manager of Textiles
Assistant Manager, Soft Construction and Textiles