Academic Year 2023-24 Update
The L2 Domestic Sewing Hub will be open during Sheila C. Johnson Design Center M-F 9am-9pm and weekends 12pm-7pm. Machines are only for those who have completed the mandatory orientation.
Please note: this is an independent workspace and will not be supported by technicians or student workers.
Reservation / Use Protocol
- Students will be expected to work independently on sewing machines. Making Center staff will not supervise usage.
- Student workers in L2 Tool Check Out will not be available to assist students.
- In the event of breakage (which cannot be solved by student troubleshooting) students are required to report breakage via email immediately. There will not be a sewing technician on site.
To Use Machines located in the L2 Domestic Sewing Hub
- Pedals are located in a locked cabinet with machines. Students who have completed orientation will be granted access.
- Pedals may not be shared with students who have not completed orientation.
- In the event that multiple machines are damaged, access to machines may be temporarily limited until a member of the Making Center’s Textiles team can assess and repair damage.
- Students will be required to provide their own scissors, fabric, bobbins, thread and notions for their projects.
For Faculty to reserve a Sewing Cart
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make a reservation.
- Carts should only be used during reserved time slots.
- Reservations will be made on a first come first serve basis.
- Please report any breakage as soon as possible.
- Please see calendar of scheduled reservations below.
About the L2 Sewing Hub
The L2 Domestic Sewing Hub contains:
- Singer Heavy Duty Domestic Sewing Machines (Model 4411)
- Open table workspace
- Dress Forms
- Jillian Hurley Assistant Manager of Textiles
Assistant Manager, Soft Construction and Textiles