Academic Year 2022-23 Update
Hours might be limited due to increased Orientation and Class sizes. Please refer to the Calendar for Open Hours.
Begin of Semester Update: E4 Shops are Open for limited use Aug 29th, Mon-Fri 10-8pm, but closed Sat-Mon Sept 3rd-5th due to Labor Day Weekend. Full shop hours will resume Sept 6th, 9am.
E4 Orientations begin on Aug 29th. Please follow the button below to complete canvas component and resigistration. Orientations end the week of October 9th
E4 Material Store Offline until Tuesday Sept 6th 9am
09/20/ 2022 – Emergency Closure:
Due to an unforeseen incident, the E4 Metal Shop will be close at 5PM today. Sorry for the inconvenience.
E4 Metal Shop Orientation
This is a mandatory orientation for all students wanting to gain access to the E4 Metal Shop. Before entering the shop for the physical portion of the Metal Orientation, please be ready to show your Canvas portion grade to the Tech. At the conclusion of the orientation, students will receive a Welding Shield sticker that gives them access to a variety of tools and equipment. Orientations will start promptly on time. All late arrivals will be turned away and have to reschedule.
Please arrive with shop-appropriate attire. See dress code below.
- Please wear Leather boots. No open-toe shoes or heels are allowed. No fabric sneakers such as converse.
- Must wear Jeans or canvas pants long enough to cover the tops of your shoes. No synthetic, frays, fur. No Shorts, No Tights, No Leggings
- All long hair must be tied back.
- Necklaces and bracelets or other hanging accessories must be removed.
- No Headphones.
failure to adhere to the dress code will result in you being turned away
Plasmacam Project Submission
E4 Metal Shop will be taking files for the CNC Plasma Cutter.
Consultation is Mandatory for completion of Submission.
(Consultation Hours are Mon-Friday 1pm-5pm)
Export all files in .dfx format only.
Projects are processed in the order they are received. Please check the log below for current status.
About the E4 Metal Shop
This lab is for advanced users.
Only continuing students who already have done orientation can use the shop. Second, third, and fourth-year Parsons students, as well as graduate students, will be permitted to use the E4 Metal Shop after training. Students are responsible for understanding all safety protocols and policies of the facility regarding etiquette, approved material use, required safety equipment / PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), and proper equipment use.
The shop is equipped with multiple tools such as belt grinders, MIG welders, Oxy-Acetylene tanks, and a CNC Plasma Cutter, among others. The shop is primarily designed for use of ferrous metals, though we also have a non-ferrous metals area within the shop for finer metal-working and jewelry projects. If you are interested in purchasing materials (Angle Iron, Flat Stock, Sheet Steel, etc.) for use in the shop, please visit the E4 Material Resale Center.
Additional hand tools and accessories are available for loan through the E4 Tool Checkout.
- Please wear leather boots. No open toe shoes, heels or sneakers allowed.
- Must wear long jeans (no shorts).
- No synthetic, frays, fur
- All long hair must be tied back.
- All hanging accessories must be removed.
Featured Equipment and Tools
- Cold Saw Doringer D 300
- Burr King Model 960-400 Two Wheel Belt Grinder
- Kalamazoo Model s 272 Square Wheel Belt Grinder
- MIG (GMAW) Millermatic 252
- TIG (GTAW) Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
- Oxy-Acetylene Torch
- CNC PlasmaCam/Plasma Cutter Miller Spectrum 875
- Hand-Held Plasma Cutting Torch
- Metal Bandsaw
- Rod Brake
- Drill Press
- E4 Metal Staff
- Damien A. Vera, Facilities Manager, E4 Shops
(212) 229 8990 x2952
E4 Metal Shop Calendar
Required Dust Mask
Required Ear Protection
Required Eye Protection
Required Face Shield