Academic Year 2021-22 Update
The lab orientation is now hosted on Canvas. Students should complete the Making Center General orientation and then proceed to the lab specific orientation for the Textiles Studio and Dye Lab.
Students who were oriented in the past will retain access but we recommend that they also take the Canvas course so that they are up to date on new policies and safety procedures.
Please email us if you have any questions. Thanks!
About the Textile Studio & Dye Lab
The weaving and dye lab supports the Parsons community in exploring various weaving, felting, natural dyeing, textile and fiber arts techniques.
Available for the 20/21 academic year:
On-campus use only:
- Umbrella swift and ball winder
- Industrial felting loom
- Carding Station
- Eight 4-harness Schacht floor looms (for students with prior weaving experience)
- Two 8-harness Macombers floor looms (for students with advanced weaving experience)
- Warping reel, Warping boards, and bobbin winder
- Stainless Steel Work tables
- Industrial Vacuum Ironing station
- 2- Heat presses
- Sentry Ductless Fume Hood (for particulates)
- Induction Burners
- Dye pots (various sizes)
- Various wet processes small tools
- Plastic buckets for temporary 1-week storage of dyes
Available to check out for up to 7 days:
- carding paddles
- drop spindles
- mini frame looms w/ tapestry tools (for sampling)
- embroidery hoops
- crochet hooks
- knitting needles
Required Dust Mask
Required Eye Protection