Academic Year 2022-23 Update
The L3 CNC Shop will be CLOSED on Sunday, September 25th.
If you’re looking to talk about material choices, file preparation or problems you might be having, you can visit during walk-in hours. You don’t need to book a reservation for walk-ins.
Walk-ins are NOT meant for submitting files to the queue or writing CAM.
Walk-in hours are as follows:
Mon – Fri: 10am – 4pm
Sat – Sun: 11am – 5pm
To complete the online orientation, enroll in the “Making Center Trainings and Authorization” course in Canvas and complete the “CNC Shops (Digital Tools)” module.
Be sure to fill out the authorization form at the end to be given access to sign up for Libcal reservations.
You will need to pass the orientation to be able to sign up for a time slot on Libcal. Working knowledge in CAD is necessary. We do not offer CAD training.
Faculty interested in class orientations: The lab does not offer class orientation however we do offer a limited amount of lab introductions, which take about thirty minutes. During the introduction we briefly go over all aspects of the lab, this is not a training session. Because the lab is busy we cannot guarantee every class this accommodation. Faculty are expected to attend the introduction. Please give us one to two weeks advance notice so we can clear the calendar. To request a lab introduction email the lab at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you have completed the orientation, you will need to plan for specific pre-CNC events before you may use the Shop.
- Make your file. (Use any CAD or Illustrator) We highly recommend reading over our “Things to Consider” guide.
- Sign up for a CAM consultation on Libcal.
- Come in during your reservation to write your CAM using Aspire. We are here to help if you get stuck.
- Technician reviews your file.
- Material gets purchased from our store.
- Your file is added to our queue. (Live tracking on bottom of the page)
- Your file will be processed in 1-3 days when we are not busy, up to 2 weeks during midterms/finals.
- PLAN AHEAD!
CNC reserves the right to reject submissions, especially if they can be processed in another shop.
If you miss your appointment or you’re 30+ minutes late, you will receive a warning. 3 warnings, you lose access to the CNC space for a week. 4 warnings, you lose access for the rest of the semester.
Reservation / Use Protocol
Available to reserve and use on Mon – Tue: 10am – 5:30pm.
If you want to request an orientation for the Analog Machines, fill out this form.
You can book 2-4 hour long reservations in 30 minute intervals.
You will still be required to have a consultation after booking a Libcal reservation. Access will be at the discretion of the technician.
Project Submission Protocol
Below is our CNC Queue Tracker. You can check the tracker to see how many files are waiting to be processed. As we are processing files the tracker will update. This can be helpful to plan out your project timeline.
Projects are processed in the order they are received. Please check the log below for current status.
Featured Equipment and Tools
- ShopBot PRS_Alpha CNC Router 4′ x 8′
- ShopBot Desktop CNC Router 24″ x 18″
- Roland MDX-540 4th-axis Rotary Mill
- Clausing Manual Lathe
- Enco Manual Machining Lathe
- Grizzly Manual Vertical Mill
- Wellsaw Horizontal Bandsaw
- Tool / Equipment Checkout Request
Required Ear Protection
Required Eye Protection