Academic Year 2021-22 Update
Welcome back!!! The Laser Lab is now open, we are primarily focusing on orientating new students until Sept 12. The lab will be open for general use but at limited availability . If you need to book an orientation, first time users, or set up a consultation please scroll down and locate the appropriate red button.
If you have questions about Laser Lab access email email@example.com
Students and faculty are required to complete an orientation before using the lab.
Orientations are in two parts:
- An online Canvas course and quiz which you MUST complete (sign into the “Making Center Trainings and Authorization” course in Canvas using your NetID/password, go to the Modules section, and complete the “Laser Lab (Digital Tools)” module.)
- A 30 minute in-person test cut. You will find the link to book your test cut at the end of the Canvas module.
Once you have completed the second part of your orientation (in-person test cut) you will be given access to the lab.
All authorized students intending to use shop resources MUST first schedule a Technician Consultation. During your consultation, the technician will ask you questions about your project, discuss any material needs, related costs, and schedule you on the lasers. Please have a finished file before booking a consultation with the button below.
This Fall we will be offering in-person consultations!
All material purchases must be done at the lab. If you intend to purchase material from us you can view the materials we offer at Material Store.
Project Submission Queue
Projects are processed in the order they are received. Please check the log below for current status.
Color Code Reference:
About the Laser Lab
The Laser Cutting Lab consists of multiple laser cutters that can be used to cut and engrave a variety of materials.
After completing an orientation, to use our Laser Cutters, you must make a consultation through the LibCal. A consultation is a 30 minute meeting where we will review your file and materials, before scheduling your time to use the machines:
- You cannot make a consultation without having taken an orientation first.
- You must have a finished file as well as all materials you plan to cut when attending a consultation.
- Consultations do not guarantee immediate use of the laser cutters. You will either have to wait until a machine is free or until your scheduled use time.
- There are no walk-in spots. You must be on the schedule.
The Laser Lab cannot facilitate class orientations.
Always read the Laser Lab approved materials list before using the Laser Lab or laser cutters.
Note: We are no longer cutting through 1/4 plywood. Engraving is ok.
Featured Equipment and Tools
- Universal VLS 4.60 Laser Cutter
- Epilog Laser Fusion M2