Academic Year 2023-24 Update
The Laser Lab will be closed from November 23rd-26th, Thursday to Sunday. Our hours will be 10-6pm from November 20-22nd, Monday to Wednesday. The Lab will also be closed for the winter break Monday, December 18, 2023, to Sunday, January 21, 2024.
We are out of Craft Plywood in our online store for the rest of the semester.
Please purchase materials from another source before coming to your appointment.
All Laser Lab Orientations have now concluded.
Dear Faculty Members: We have concluded scheduling class introductions for Laser Lab for Fall semester. If you have not confirmed a class introduction already, you will have to wait until next semester to do so.
NOTE: Epilog Fusion (Our 40″ x 28″ large laser cutter) requires advanced training and setup. It can get busy towards the end of semesters so you may not get immediate access after your consultation. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Welcome to the Laser Lab. If you need to book an orientation or set up a consultation please scroll down and locate the appropriate red button.
To use the lab:
- Complete a Mandatory Orientation (Do this once, before you ever use the lab)
- Book a Technician Consultation (Do this every time you need to use the lab)
If you have questions about Laser Lab access email email@example.com
Students and faculty are required to complete an orientation before using the lab.
Orientations are in two parts:
- An online Canvas course and quiz which you MUST complete (sign into the “Making Center Trainings and Authorization” course in Canvas using your NetID/password, go to the Modules section, and complete the “Laser Lab (Digital Tools)” module.)
- A 30 minute in-person test cut. You will find the link to book your test cut at the end of the Canvas module.
Once you have completed your in-person test cut, you will be given access to the lab.
Note for faculty:
The lab no longer offers class orientations, however we do offer a limited amount of lab introductions, which take about 15 minutes. During the introduction we allow your class brief access to the lab to familiarize with the space and machines, this is not a training period. Due to the high demand of the Laser Lab, we cannot guarantee every class this accommodation. Faculty are expected to attend the introduction and take the orientation ahead of time. Please give us one to two weeks advance notice so we can accommodate you. To request a lab introduction email the lab at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important: Please remember to cancel your consultation if no longer needed. This will allow your cohorts to access the lab.
After completing an orientation, to use our Laser Cutters, you must make a consultation using the button below. A consultation is a 30 minute meeting where we will review your file and materials, before scheduling your time to use the machines:
- You cannot make a consultation without having taken an orientation first.
- You must have a finished file as well as all materials you plan to cut when attending a consultation.
- Consultations do not guarantee immediate use of the laser cutters. You will either have to wait until a machine is free or until your scheduled use time.
Always read the Laser Lab approved materials list before using the Laser Lab. If you intend to purchase material from us you can view the materials we offer at Material Store. All material purchases must be done at the lab.
About the Laser Lab
The Laser Cutting Lab consists of multiple laser cutters that can be used to cut and engrave a variety of materials.
Always read the Laser Lab approved materials list before using the Laser Lab or laser cutters.
Note: We are no longer cutting through 1/4 plywood. Engraving is ok.
Featured Equipment and Tools
- Universal VLS 4.60 Laser Cutter
- Epilog Laser Fusion M2