Academic Year 2022-23 Update
Lab is open Mon-Fri 10:30-6pm and Sat-Sun 11:30-7pm.
Welcome to the 3D Lab. To use the lab you must:
- Complete a Mandatory Orientation, located in Canvas, pleas locate the red button below title Take the Orientation. (Do this once, before you ever use the lab)
- Book a Technician Consultation (Do this every time you need to use the lab)
If you have questions about 3DLab access email email@example.com
Students and faculty are required to complete an orientation before using the lab. Working knowledge of CAD is necessary.
The 3D Lab is now offering online orientations via the Canvas platform (sign into the “Making Center Trainings and Authorization” course in Canvas using your NetID/password, go to the Modules section, and complete the “3D Lab (Digital Tools)” module.)
Once you have completed the quiz and filled in the form at the end you have immediate access to the lab. Remember, you must still book a consultation every time you want to use the lab.
- interested in class orientations: The lab does not offer class orientation however we do offer a limited amount of lab introductions, which take about thirty minutes. During the introduction we briefly go over all aspects of the lab, this is not a training period. Because the lab is busy we cannot guarantee every class this accommodation. Faculty are expected to attend the introduction. Please give us one to two weeks advance notice so we can clear the calendar. To request a lab introduction email the lab at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- interested in mobile 3D printing class cart: We now have a mobile cart with a Pursa 3D printer on it that you can bring to your class to use for a demo. Please email the lab at email@example.com to learn more.
After you have completed the orientation you must schedule a consultation each time you want to print. You must have a finished 3D model (.stl or .obj) before making a consultation. Creating, editing, or repairing of 3D models is the responsibility of the student. A consultation is a 30 minute meeting where we will:
- Check over your 3D model
- Discuss material/printer options
- Pay for the material (if you are bringing your own material, please read this document)
- Export your file ready to be printed
- Add you to the printing waitlist if there is not a printer immediately available
Note: Consultations do not guarantee immediate use of the 3D printer. You may have to wait until a machine is free or be put on a waitlist to print as soon as one becomes available.
Please also make a consultation if you are interested in using one of the 3D scanners.
Project Submission Queue
Projects are processed in the order they are received. Please check the log below for current status.
About the 3D Print Lab
The 3D Print Lab is a Making Center workspace dedicated to creative exploration using various 3D technologies. The lab consists of a range of technological equipment including; 3D scanners, haptic modeling devices, and 3D printers.
We DO NOT accept prints that exceed 24 hours in print time.
We are NOT a self service lab.
Do not start your print after hours.
You will be banned for the semester!
Featured Equipment and Tools
- Ultimaker 2+ Extended
- Markforged Mark Two
- Structure 3D Scanner
- Form 3
- Ultimaker S5
- Prusa i3 MK3S+